Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Miracle at Belleau Wood

I finished today. It is truly a captivating book. Alan Axelrod shows you so many aspects of the battle. You get to see the struggle the Marines went through to even get into the fight; you see the lengths the Army went through to cover up the Marines' roll. But best of all, you get to see why the Marines are so amazing. The bravery and heroics are astounding. Even as the French were fleeing, the Marines stood their ground, through artillery fire, machine guns, and even mustard gas. After reading this, my desire to become a Marine has been revived (I never stopped wanting it, but I was starting to lose sight of the goal).

I wanted to provide a snippet to illustrate some of the incredible and almost unfathomable actions the Marines took, but there are just too many to choose from. If you haven't read it, it's definitely worth the time.

And for those who didn't already know... the Marines won!

No comments: