Thursday, July 2, 2009

Recruiter Update

Despite shaking like crazy and wanting to puke, I went in and talked to a recruiter tonight. I think it went pretty well. He gave me a lot of information on how to lose the last 10ish pounds I need to lose. I've been going about it all wrong. I've been eating about 1600 calories a day, when I need to eat about 1000. I eat way too many carbs (only need 3 servings a day. Did you know that baby carrots are full of carbs?), and too many fruits (need 1-2, so much for my apple obsession). I need to be running to the point of wanting to die for 30-45 minutes a day. Staff Sergeant Adamczyk offered to help me some mornings, too, which is great. He said I should call him on Friday mornings, but I'm not sure if he meant I should start tomorrow... I probably should. Show some initiative and whatnot.

There is also the chance that my hypothyroidism will keep me out of the military completely. That's a bit worrisome, as I don't have a backup plan. But I'm not making a backup plan yet, because I know I can manage without the meds. I need(ed) them to keep my weight down, but now that I know how to eat better and control my weight, they may become obsolete. I'll lose the weight and see what the recruiter finds out about the condition. No sense in stressing now.

On the positive side, I took the practice ASVAB and got an 89 (for those who don't know, max is 99). The person before me had gotten a 17, so that was a pleasant surprise. And I rushed and guessed on a couple of the math questions because I thought I was running out of time (I ended that section with 3 minutes left), so if I had taken my time, I may have done better. But 89 is nothing to spit at.

One other thing to note: I met the recruiter who I had initially spoken with on the phone way back when. She's actually very nice and I owe her an apology for the bad attitude I had toward her. I'm sure she sees overweight people come in all the time who never follow through. I'm not going to be one of those people.

I'm still a bit nervous about the whole situation, but I think it's going to turn out well. Staff Sergeant Adamczyk's wife was there, as well, and she was very nice. She offered to lend me her Weight Watchers books and gave me lots of helpful advice. And once she has her baby, she and Sergeant Kindig will be doing a "girls only" PT session. Hopefully I'll be able to join that one. Yes, I definitely think this is going to turn out well. I can't wait to be a Marine.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Outstanding! Good job on sticking to it through that rough patch you just went through. I can't wait to see what you think of boot camp. :)