Sunday, July 5, 2009

Running

I've been pushing myself harder during my runs since I spoke with the recruiter. Ok, so I've only had two runs since then, but still, that's not bad. I've started wearing my HRM and tracking my intensity based on that. I try to keep my heart rate up between 165 and 170. If I get to the point where I'm struggling to breathe, I walk for a minute or two until my heart rate drops back to 155, then pick up running again. It seems to be working pretty well. I did 2.5 miles in less than 30 minutes today (my typical 3 miles is 38 minutes), even with the walking. I think if I keep this up, I'll be able to pass the PFT with no problem. I just need to stick with it and push myself a bit harder than I want to.

This is the first time since I've started my journey that I've had someone expecting me to do well (well, someone who can physically see me and judge my progress on their own). If I don't push myself and show that I have what it takes, they won't put their own reputations on the line to help me become a Marine. It's scary, but it's also nice. Becoming a Marine isn't just an idea anymore, it's becoming reality. I finally have a tangible goal and can see how my efforts so far have helped achieve that goal.

No comments: