Tuesday, June 30, 2009

The Pepperdogs

I finished The Pepperdogs last night... at about 1am. I was so drawn in, I couldn't put it down. I would've spent the night wondering what happened. I both loved it and hated it. But I think that's the mark of a good author. If he can hook so thoroughly that you want to hate him for it, he did his job. I know that sounds weird, but I'm not sure how else to describe it. It's one of my favorite books, and yet, I wanted to throw it across the room.

Today I started No True Glory: A Frontline Account of the Battle of Fallujah. I've only read the prologue so far. It really amazes me how messed up people are. How can anyone think it's ok to mutilate another human being like that? They're already dead. Dragging the bodies through the streets, ripping them apart, hanging them... it just shows how inhumane humans can be. Even animals aren't that savage. I'm so disgusted and baffled, I feel at a loss for words.

We have Friday, July 3, off. I'm going to see if the recruiter's office is open, and if it is, I'm going in. I have no excuse not to. Thinking about it gives me butterflies, but I need to do it. The longer I put it off, the harder it will be, and the perfect moment has been dropped in my lap. I'd be a fool not to take it.

No comments: